… says 13 terrorists killed
The Sokoto State Government has expressed concern over a fresh attack allegedly carried out by members of the Lakurawa terrorist group, which reportedly left 32 residents and four soldiers dead.
The government also disclosed that 13 Lakurawa fighters were killed after members of the affected communities confronted the attackers during the incident.
In a statement issued on Tuesday by the Office of the Special Adviser on Security Matters, the state government commiserated with the families of the victims, the Nigerian Armed Forces and residents of the affected communities.
It described the four soldiers killed in the attack as “gallant” personnel who paid the supreme price in the service of the nation, while commending local residents for their courage in confronting the terrorists.
“On behalf of His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Sokoto State, we extend our heartfelt condolences to the families of the deceased, the Nigerian Armed Forces and the affected communities across the state,” the statement said.
The government prayed for the repose of the souls of those killed and the speedy recovery of those injured in the attack.
It said security agencies had been directed to intensify operations against the attackers and ensure that those responsible were apprehended and brought to justice.
According to the statement, the state government had also activated emergency medical and relief assistance for victims, injured persons and residents displaced by the violence.
It further disclosed that a high-level delegation, led by the Deputy Governor, had been constituted to visit the affected communities.
The delegation, the government said, would commiserate with residents, assess the extent of the destruction and identify areas requiring immediate government intervention.
The government also announced plans to strengthen collaboration among security agencies, community vigilantes and local government councils to improve intelligence gathering, early-warning mechanisms and rapid response to security threats.
It directed relevant government agencies to continue monitoring developments in the affected areas and provide necessary assistance to prevent further displacement and support the restoration of normalcy.
“The Government reassures the people of Sokoto State that the protection of lives and property remains its highest priority,” the statement said.
The government urged residents in affected and neighbouring communities to remain calm and vigilant, while encouraging them to provide timely and credible information to security agencies.
It also appealed to traditional rulers, religious and community leaders and other stakeholders to support security operations by encouraging residents to cooperate with security personnel and report suspicious movements and activities.
The state government said it was engaging the Federal Government and relevant security authorities to increase security presence and strengthen coordinated operations against the Lakurawa threat.
It commended the Nigerian Armed Forces and other security personnel for their sacrifices in protecting communities across the state, assuring them of continued support.
“Sokoto State remains united against terrorism and other forms of criminality,” the statement added.
The government stressed that it would continue to take measures within its constitutional powers, in collaboration with the Federal Government and security agencies, to protect the lives, property and livelihoods of residents.


Comments
Start the conversation about this story.