The United Nations Children’s Fund has called on the Borno State and Federal Governments to intensify efforts to secure the release of 78 schoolchildren abducted in Mussa and Lassa communities in Askira/Uba Local Government Area of the state.
UNICEF Nigeria Deputy Representative, Dr Rownak Khan, made the call on Wednesday while responding to questions during a media briefing with the United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator and other heads of agencies in commemoration of the 2026 World Humanitarian Day in Maiduguri.
Khan said UNICEF was concerned about the spate of child abductions in Borno and Nigeria, urging authorities to ensure the safe return of all abducted children to their families.
She described schools as safe places where children should be able to learn and grow.
She said, “We are worried about the abduction of children not only in Borno State, but in Nigeria at large. School should be a safe place for them. They come here to learn and grow themselves.”
Khan said UNICEF had been working with the Borno State Government to ensure that safe-school protocols were implemented.
“However, it is a complex issue which is related to the overall security situation in the country. We are advocating for all the partners involved and joining voices to release those children,” she noted.
She assured that UNICEF would support the government with psychosocial assistance and other services when the children were released.
“Once we have seen the children released, we will work with the government to reintegrate them, provide psychosocial support and nutrition, health and so on,” she said.
“At the end of the day, they are Nigerian children, so it is the ultimate responsibility of the government of Nigeria to make sure that, first, they are not abducted, and secondly, put all the effort to release those children back to their families,” she emphasised.
The PUNCH had reported that 42 pupils were abducted from Mussa Primary and Junior Secondary School in Mussa on May 15 following an attack by suspected insurgents.
Similarly, on June 29, suspected insurgents attacked Government Day Secondary School, Lassa, in Askira/Uba Local Government Area, abducting 36 students and one teacher.
The two incidents brought the reported number of abducted students to 78.


Comments
Start the conversation about this story.