THE Federal Government has called for urgent and concrete measures to halt xenophobic, and Afrophobic attacks against Africans in South Africa.
This is contained in a statement issued on Wednesday by Raphael Oni, Special Assistant on Digital Media and Public Diplomacy, Office of the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs.
It said the Minister of State, Foreign Affairs, Amb. Sola Enikanolaiye, said this during a virtual roundtable on: “South Africa’s Xenophobia in Comparative Perspective,” convened by the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs.
Enikanolaiye was quoted as saying that the crisis must be tackled through stronger migration governance, responsible leadership, and deeper people-to-people ties across the continent.
The minister said that Nigeria views the challenge that surrounds Afrophobia as one that must be understood without denial or exaggeration.
According to him, the violence is bearing particularly African, post-colonial and post-apartheid character, hence the more accurate term, Afrophobia.
He decried the contradiction of citizens from countries that stood with South Africa during the anti-apartheid struggle, now being targeted as unwanted outsiders.
Enikanolaiye also said that the ministry had directed the NIIA to undertake a comprehensive study documenting Nigeria’s support for the liberation struggle.
He said Nigeria’s financial commitment was over 60 billion dollars, in addition to the nationalisation of British Petroleum, scholarships, and hospitality extended to South African leaders in Nigeria.
Enikanolaiye said, “The relationship between Nigeria and South Africa is not reducible to trade statistics or diplomatic communiqués.
“There is history in that relationship. There is blood, sacrifice and solidarity in that history,” he said.
He expressed concern over the loss of lives, stressing that since June, 2022, not less than 90 Nigerians had been killed in Afrophobic violence, with fresh attacks and displacements recorded in 2026.
He warned that the continued violence undermined South Africa’s international reputation, eroded investor confidence, threatened regional integration, and diminished the moral authority earned during its liberation struggle.
“To break the cycle, Nigeria is urging South African authorities to strengthen migration systems that are transparent and humane, and to ensure that the enforcement of immigration laws remained solely with the state,” he said.
The minister cautioned against vigilantism and called on political leaders to guard their language, saying rhetorics that painted migrants as criminals or job thieves fostered an environment where violence thrive.
He underscored the need for public discourse grounded in facts and data, rather than misinformation and social media rumors.
“Nigeria calls for the full activation of existing Nigeria–South Africa early-warning and rapid-response mechanisms to detect and defuse tensions before they escalate,” he stated.
Enikanolaiye reiterated the need to deepen people-to-people diplomacy.
He said this was to be done by mobilising businesses, universities, religious and traditional institutions, youth groups, civil society, and the media to rebuild trust, and promote a shared African identity.
He said that Nigeria, together with Ghana, would be presenting the matter at the next Session of the African Union Assembly of Heads of State and Government.
While acknowledging South Africa’s willingness to discuss push and pull factors, he insisted Nigeria’s priority attention must be given to the hate-driven violence and attacks causing anguish among African nationals.
“What Africa needs now is not mere tolerance, but belonging to a continent where a Nigerian in Johannesburg and a South African in Lagos are regarded first as Africans with equal dignity,” he said.
Enikanolaiye reaffirmed President Bola Tinubu’s commitment to the welfare and protection of Nigerians abroad, while citing Tinubu’s direct intervention in the recent repatriation of Nigerians from South Africa.
He commended the heads of mission in Pretoria and Johannesburg for ensuring that the exercise was carried out promptly.
The minister also assured of Nigeria’s resolve to work with South Africa, the AU, ECOWAS and other partners to ensure African integration. (NAN)
M.P
Tags: End to Afrophobic attacks in Aouth Africa nigeria


Comments
Start the conversation about this story.