American Teofimo Lopez became a three-weight world champion by taking Rolando Romero’s WBA ‘Super’ welterweight world title at the T-Mobile Arena on Saturday in Las Vegas.
Lopez, who has previously held world titles at lightweight and light-welterweight, secured a majority decision but declined to call out Briton Jack Catterall as his first defence.
The 29-year-old instead wants to fight the winner of the upcoming WBC title fight between holder Ryan Garcia and English challenger Conor Benn, or pursue another unification bout with Australia’s IBF champion Liam Paro.
“September 12th, right?” he said, referring to Garcia’s fight with Benn, which is scheduled to take place in the same Las Vegas ring.
“So, you got Ryan Garcia versus Conor Benn. That’s the next one. We’ll see what happens there. If Conor wins, it’s a great fight to take across the pond [the Atlantic ocean].
“I think I’d rather wait for Devin [Haney, WBO champion] at the end.
“So, it’ll either be Liam Paro next or the winner out of Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn.”
Chorley fighter Catterall holds the WBA ‘Regular’ belt, which makes him next in line to fight Lopez unless the WBA decides to overlook him in favour of a unification bout.
Catterall was quick to respond, posting on X. “Congratulations Teofimo Lopez but I will be taking that belt 100%. Let’s Gooo.”
Lopez responded well in his first fight since losing his WBO light-welterweight crown to Shakur Stevenson at the end of January, which was only the second loss of his career.
He largely controlled his comeback bout against long-time friend and sparring partner ‘Rolly’ Romero at the T-Mobile Arena, although the Brooklyn-born boxer did suffer a significant cut above his right eye in the fifth round and was further rocked by a right hand before the bell.
Rather than hammering home his advantage, defending champion Romero went back into his shell and Lopez kept him well at bay with his jab to take the 23rd victory of his career.
Two of the three judges gave him the win – 116-112, 115-113 – with the third controversially calling it a 114-114 draw.
Lopez had hinted before the fight that he would be taking time out for the upcoming birth of his child, but quickly signalled his plans after securing victory.
He improved his record to 23 wins in 25 fights but is still searching for his first stoppage win since 2022.
Romero, 30, slumped to his third loss in 20 fights and was unhappy with the scorecards.
“He never hurt me at any given moment. He got hurt multiple times throughout the fight, ” he said.
“I am owed a rematch.”


Comments
Start the conversation about this story.