By Emma Una
CALABAR — Cross River State Governor, Senator Bassey Otu, has assured victims of Saturday’s fire outbreak at SPAR shopping complex in Calabar of government assistance, promising immediate intervention to mitigate their losses and support the recovery of affected businesses.
The governor’s assurance was conveyed by his Deputy, Dr Peter Odey, who visited the scene to assess the extent of the damage and sympathise with the management and traders affected by the inferno.
Odey said the state government was deeply concerned about the incident and would not abandon those who suffered losses.
“His Excellency, the Governor, is deeply concerned about this unfortunate incident. We are here to identify with the management, the traders and everyone who has been affected, and to assure them that they are not alone at this difficult moment,” he said.
He added that the government would assess the damage and determine the immediate assistance required by the victims.
“The government will not abandon anybody who has suffered losses as a result of this incident. We are going to assess the extent of damage and determine what immediate intervention is required to assist the victims and support their recovery process,” he said.
The Deputy Governor said the exact cause of the fire had yet to be established, although preliminary indications suggested a possible electrical fault.
“We have spoken with the management, but at this stage, we cannot conclusively say what caused the fire. There are indications that it may have been electrical, but we must allow the appropriate authorities to conduct their investigations before arriving at a definitive conclusion,” he said.
Odey disclosed that the Director-General of the Cross River State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, had commenced arrangements to assess the damage and determine the immediate needs of those affected.
“The Director-General of SEMA is already on the matter. The agency will carry out a proper assessment of the damage, identify the victims and establish the areas where immediate relief is required,” he said.
He stressed that the government’s intervention would go beyond sympathising with the victims, adding that efforts would be made to support affected businesses to resume operations.
“Our objective is not just to come here, sympathise with the victims and leave. We want to see how government can support them to get back on their feet,” Odey said.
“We will provide the necessary support within the capacity of government to ensure that the affected businesses can resume operations as soon as reasonably possible.”
The Deputy Governor commended the Cross River State Fire Service for its prompt response to the emergency, noting that the agency had been adequately equipped by the state government.
“I want to commend the Cross River State Fire Service. They responded promptly and professionally to this emergency. This is why it is important for us to continue investing in our emergency-response institutions. When disaster strikes, every minute matters,” he said.
He also acknowledged the intervention of the Federal Fire Service, saying the collaboration between the state and federal firefighters helped to contain the fire and prevent further spread.
Odey paid tribute to the firefighters for their courage and sacrifice in protecting lives and property.
“These men and women put their lives on the line to save lives and property. We must appreciate their courage, their professionalism and their commitment,” he said.
He equally commended the Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies for maintaining order around the complex and preventing looting or other criminal activities.
“I commend the police and all the other security agencies that have remained here to secure the premises. They have ensured that the unfortunate situation was not compounded by looting or other criminal activities. That is extremely important,” he said.
Odey further disclosed that the state government was taking proactive measures to address environmental and infrastructural challenges that could expose residents to further danger.
He said water was being redirected from Channel 1 to protect houses and other structures along the affected drainage corridor.
“We have already started redirecting the water from Channel 1. The objective is to ensure that houses along that line are no longer exposed to the danger of collapse. We cannot wait until another disaster occurs before we act,” he said.
The Deputy Governor expressed concern over the series of emergencies recorded in Calabar within a short period, including fire outbreaks and landslides.
“It is regrettable that Calabar has witnessed a number of calamities within a short period. We have had fires, landslides and other emergencies, and these incidents require us to look beyond individual responses. We must strengthen our preventive measures and our capacity to respond when emergencies occur,” he said.
He disclosed that the state government was engaging relevant federal institutions, including the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, the South-South Development Commission, SSDC, and agencies responsible for the National Ecological Fund, to address challenges requiring additional resources and technical support.
“We are engaging with NEMA, the South-South Development Commission and the National Ecological Fund because some of these challenges require resources and technical intervention beyond what the state can do alone,” Odey said.
The post Otu assures SPAR fire victims of government assistance appeared first on Vanguard News.


Comments
Start the conversation about this story.