Dapo Abiodun

FILE: Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun

The Fusengbuwa Ruling House of Ijebu Ode, Ogun State, on Monday petitioned Governor Dapo Abiodun over the formation of a breakaway faction by some members of the family, urging the government not to have anything to do with the group as far as the selection process for the new Awujale of Ijebuland and matters affecting the ruling house are concerned.

The family also called on Abiodun to lift the over seven-month-old embargo halting the selection of the new Awujale and allow the kingmakers to resume the process so that the people of Ijebu Ode can have a befitting royal father.

In the petition dated August 17, 2026, and signed by the Chairman of the ruling house, Otunba Abdul Lateef Owoyemi; Deputy Chairman, Otunba Oladokun Ajidagba; Vice Chairman, Prof. Fassy Yusuf; and General Secretary, Pastor Bola Salami, the group urged the governor not to recognise what it described as an “illegal and lawless group.”

Copies of the petition, which was submitted to the Governor’s Office on Monday, were also sent to the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice; Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs; Secretary to the State Government; Chairman of Ijebu Ode Local Government; and Chairman of the Awujale Afobajes Council.

The petition alleged that the breakaway group was led by Adeleke Adeyemi, whom the ruling house said previously belonged to the Otunba Ajidagba Unit, one of three units that worked together in nominating candidates for the vacant Awujale stool.

The petitioners claimed that Adeyemi and his associates had embarked on activities capable of causing division within the ruling house.

“We wish to bring to Your Excellency’s attention the unorthodox formation and unlawful activities by some rebellious contestants to the Awujale stool, led by one Adeleke Adeyemi,” the petition stated.

Among the allegations contained in the petition was that Adeyemi had convened meetings purportedly in the name of the Olori Ebi of the Ajidagba Unit and, in collaboration with one Ridwan Oduneye, constituted a “Fact Finding Committee” allegedly aimed at damaging the reputations of some leaders of the ruling house.

The petitioners also alleged that the committee’s activities contravened a subsisting judgment of the Ijebu-Ode High Court in Suit No. HCJ/18/2014, which they said prohibited one unit of the ruling house from interfering in the affairs of another.

The ruling house further accused Adeyemi’s group of convening a meeting at which it sought to remove the three recognised Olori Ebis of the Fusengbuwa Ruling House—Owoyemi, Ajidagba and Yusuf.

According to the petitioners, the three leaders played key roles in the nomination of candidates for the vacant Awujale stool.

The petitioners described the nomination process as “lawful and peaceful” and said it was conducted in compliance with the relevant law, declaration and tradition.

They also referred to an earlier petition submitted to the governor by counsel for Fuji musician, King Wasiu Ayinde Marshal, popularly known as KWAM 1, Dr Wahab Shittu, SAN, in January 2026.

The ruling house, which is to produce the next Awujale of Ijebuland, alleged that Oduneye’s name featured in that petition as one of the members purportedly disenfranchised from the nomination exercise.

The ruling house, however, argued that Oduneye and some others were not selected to participate in the exercise by their family, citing the limited capacity of the venue.

The petition further alleged that Oduneye and his father had previously admitted to going to KWAM 1’s residence to sign a Fusengbuwa Ruling House membership form on behalf of the musician in an attempt to make him a contestant for the Awujale stool.

The ruling house described this as sacrilegious because, according to it, the Fuji musician was never a member of the ruling house.

The ruling house said, “We are reliably informed that Adeleke Adeyemi’s illegal and unlawful breakaway unit has commenced entering into correspondence with Your Excellency and government for the purpose of seeking recognition, legitimising their obnoxious activities and overturning all the successful attainments we have so far achieved in completing the candidates’ nomination and forwarding same to the Afobaje as acclaimed by all stakeholders.

“The aim of these renegades is to precipitate crises and deny our Ruling House from producing the next Awujale & Paramount Ruler of Ijebuland, which God and our ancestors would not allow. We are convinced beyond every iota of doubt that they are being used.

“We are, therefore, earnestly urging Your Excellency not to accommodate nor have anything whatsoever to do with this illegal and lawless group and other rebellious groups that may raise their ugly heads under one guise or the other now or in the near future.

“We do not doubt that Your Excellency would have seen that the genuine Fusengbuwa Ruling House and the large majority of the people of Ijebu Ode are firmly in our support as the lawful leaders of Fusengbuwa Ruling House and have largely expressed their expectation that Your Excellency will not collaborate nor accommodate or tolerate any dissident or rebellious group to divide, damage and/or destroy our Ruling House.

“We passionately urge Your Excellency to discountenance these distracting and destructive elements and direct the Afobajes to return to and complete their assigned role in this historic process. We earnestly pray that you remain on the side of history as we remain your loyal, law-abiding and respectful citizens”.

Reacting to the petition on behalf of the breakaway group, Oduneye debunked the allegations made by the leadership of the ruling house, saying they were using the petition to create a distraction and confuse members of the public.

He explained, “I am aware of the petition; we are only talking about the restructuring of our house and not about the selection process. This is not a matter that has anything to do with the government.

“We are only saying that they should come and defend the allegations of financial inducement, among others, against them. The truth is that our decision concerning their removal stands because it was a family decision”.

Recall that the trio of Owoyemi, Ajidagba and Yusuf had recently rejected their removal as leaders of the ruling house by the breakaway unit and promised legal action against the Fact Finding Committee, which allegedly removed the leaders over claims of financial inducement in the Awujale selection process.

Responding, the Secretary of the Fact Finding Committee, Oduneye, said the committee stood by its decision and that the three leaders remained removed, as announced during the family meeting held on August 9, 2026.

He also disclosed that the family members welcomed the proposed court action, adding that “Litigation is a civil way of seeking redress. The court will be the best place to establish who has betrayed the House and who is pursuing personal interest at the expense of the collective”.