Adeleke, Osun

Governor Ademola Adeleke of Osun State. Credit: Osun State Government

The Imole Campaign Council has commenced a post-election review of electoral violence in Osun State, directing its structures across the 30 local government areas to document victims, including those who lost their lives or sustained injuries.

The move came two days after Governor Ademola Adeleke was declared the winner of Saturday’s governorship election, defeating the All Progressives Congress candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, after polling 511,067 votes.

The election followed weeks of political tension and reported violence in parts of the state, including the killing of an Accord Party supporter, Ajayi Aderogba, popularly known as Rogba, in Esa-Oke in June.

The Imole Campaign Council had subsequently called for an independent investigation into the incident.

Ahead of the poll, PUNCH Online also reported clashes and allegations of politically motivated attacks involving the major parties as the election approached.

In its latest statement issued on Monday, signed by its spokesperson, Pelumi Olajengbesi, the campaign council said the review would cover every person affected by violence before, during and immediately after the election.

It said its headcount would include people who sustained injuries, families who lost loved ones and persons whose properties were damaged or destroyed.

“Every victim must be documented. Importantly, this exercise is not party-focused. Every victim must be documented irrespective of political affiliation, party membership or voting preference.

“Violence against any citizen diminishes us all, and no family should be forgotten simply because of their political persuasion.”

The council said the exercise would therefore not be restricted to Adeleke’s supporters or members of the Accord Party.

However, the latest directive comes after the campaign council had previously alleged that several Accord members and Adeleke supporters were killed, injured or detained during the election campaign.

In an earlier statement reported by PUNCH Online, the council named Kolade Eluyera, Ezekiel Olapade, Ajayi Rogba and Timilehin Oni among those allegedly killed. It also listed several others it said were killed or injured.

The council had also alleged that more than 100 of Adeleke’s campaign coordinators and supporters were arrested and detained during the campaign.

In the latest statement, however, the council broadened the exercise to cover victims regardless of their political affiliation.

“This exercise must capture persons who sustained injuries, families who lost loved ones, persons whose properties were damaged or destroyed, and other identifiable victims of election-related violence,” the statement said.

The council directed all its local government structures to submit comprehensive and verifiable records of the affected persons for further review and appropriate action.

It said the outcome of the election could not erase the pain suffered by families who lost loved ones or sustained injuries.

“While we are grateful to God and to the people of Osun State for the outcome of the election, we recognise that our victory cannot erase the pain of families who suffered losses or injuries in the course of the electoral process.

“The election is over. Our common humanity must now take precedence over political differences. Osun comes first,” the statement added.