Russia says 822 Ukrainian drones killed at least seven

Russia says Ukraine launched its largest drone attack of 2026, with 822 drones targeting several regions, including about 600 aimed at Moscow. At least seven people were killed and dozens injured, according to Russian officials.

Five people were killed in the southern Rostov region, while a woman died in Belgorod after a civilian bus was hit. An 83-year-old man was also killed in a drone attack in the Moscow region.

A warehouse belonging to Russian online retailer Wildberries in Koledino, about 25km from Moscow, was also struck, injuring three people. Ukraine has previously said it targets Russian logistics facilities that support the country’s war effort.

The attacks come as Russia has intensified missile strikes across Ukraine and Kyiv has expanded its use of long-range drones against targets deep inside Russia.

Four Renaissance paintings stolen from Italian museum

Four Renaissance paintings described by Italy’s culture minister as being of “extraordinary value” have been stolen from a museum in Sicily.

The stolen works include three panels from the Polyptych of San Gregorio and a double-sided panel depicting the Madonna with Child and Christ in Pietà, all attributed to Renaissance painter Antonello da Messina.

Police are investigating how the thieves entered the Regional Interdisciplinary Museum of Messina without triggering its alarm system. Investigators suspect the paintings may have been stolen to order for the black market.

Museum director Marisa Mercurio said the theft is believed to have taken place at about 21:50 local time on Saturday. The paintings, which were mounted on wooden panels, would have been difficult to conceal or transport compared with rolled canvases.

Two killed as wildfires force hundreds to evacuate Greek island

Two people have died and hundreds of residents have been evacuated after two wildfires broke out almost simultaneously on the Greek island of Salamina near Athens.

About 200 firefighters were deployed to prevent the fires from merging as strong winds caused the flames to spread rapidly. Around 500 people were evacuated by sea from the island.

The first fire began in a forested residential area in Peristeria, where firefighters found two bodies believed to be a couple. A second blaze broke out about 20 minutes later in Selinia.

One fire was brought under control by Sunday evening, while firefighters continued monitoring scattered flames. The cause of both fires remains under investigation.

Indonesia earthquake kills 53 and displaces thousands

At least 53 people have died and around 5,000 have been displaced after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck Indonesia’s Flores island.

The shallow earthquake struck shortly before 05:00 local time on Saturday and was followed by 341 aftershocks. More than 900 homes and hundreds of other buildings were severely damaged, according to Indonesia’s disaster management agency.

Manggarai and East Manggarai were among the worst-affected areas, with dozens of deaths recorded across several provinces. Thousands of residents have been moved to safer areas as rescue teams search damaged buildings for survivors.

The disaster comes as Indonesia continues to experience intense seismic activity because of its location on the Pacific “Ring of Fire”.

Kushner meets Hamas leader over Gaza peace plan

Donald Trump US President’s Middle East envoy Jared Kushner has held rare talks with Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya in Egypt as Washington pushes for implementation of its Gaza peace plan.

A Palestinian official said the meeting focused on practical steps for implementing the plan, including the disarmament of Hamas, withdrawal of Israeli troops and humanitarian assistance.

The meeting comes after Israel rejected Trump’s 15-point proposal, insisting that Hamas must be genuinely disarmed before Israeli forces withdraw. Hamas has said it is prepared to engage in implementing the agreement but has linked disarmament to Israeli withdrawal and an end to military operations.
Representatives from Egypt, Qatar and Turkey, which have played mediating roles in the conflict, were also reportedly involved in the talks.

AFRICA

Zambia election observers raise concerns over violence

International observers have raised concerns about intimidation, alleged abductions and violence during Zambia’s presidential election as votes continue to be counted.

Observer missions from the European Union and Southern African Development Community urged political parties to avoid inflammatory statements and called for calm following clashes at some polling stations.

The concerns come as Zambia awaits the final results of Thursday’s general election, with tensions rising during the counting process.

$50m hostage ransom helped fund al-Qaeda’s Mali offensive, UN says

A $50 million ransom paid for a hostage released by al-Qaeda-linked militants in Mali helped finance the group’s military expansion across West Africa, according to UN experts.

The UN report said the money also strengthened the group’s wider international network. It did not identify the hostage or the country that allegedly paid the ransom.

Regional sources told Reuters that the payment was made by the United Arab Emirates and was linked to the release of an Emirati citizen and two other foreign nationals.

The ransom highlights how hostage-taking has become an important source of financing for jihadist groups operating across the Sahel.

Lake Kariba boat accident death toll rises to 80

Zimbabwe’s police say 80 people have died after a boat sank on Lake Kariba on August 11, following the recovery of eight additional bodies.

The vessel was carrying passengers across the lake when it overturned. Rescue teams have continued searching the water for missing passengers as authorities work to establish the full circumstances of the disaster.

The accident has become one of Zimbabwe’s deadliest recent maritime disasters and has prompted renewed questions over passenger safety and enforcement on Lake Kariba.

650,000 South Sudan refugees risk losing food aid

More than 650,000 refugees and asylum seekers in South Sudan could lose access to food assistance within weeks because of a severe funding shortage, the UN has warned.

The World Food Programme and UN refugee agency said South Sudan is already facing one of the world’s worst hunger crises, with more than 7.8 million people experiencing acute food insecurity and about 2.2 million children acutely malnourished.

The country is also receiving around 3,000 refugees and returnees from neighbouring Sudan every week as fighting in Sudan continues. Aid agencies fear that cuts to food assistance could force vulnerable refugees to return to conflict-affected areas in search of food.

US missionary released after nine months in Niger captivity

American missionary Kevin Rideout has been released after more than nine months in captivity in Niger and returned to US custody.
Rideout, a pilot with evangelical missionary organisation SIM International, was abducted by three armed men in Niamey on October 21 while travelling towards the airport.

His organisation said he was in good health and would soon be reunited with his family. Donald Trump,  the US President also confirmed his release, saying Rideout was back in American custody.

Details about how Rideout was freed, where the handover took place and who held him during his captivity have not been disclosed.

Add as a preferred source on Google Follow on Google News

Faith Omoboye is a foreign affairs correspondent with background in History and International relations. Her work focuses on African politics, diplomacy, and global governance.