FIFA chief operating officer Kevin Lamour has left the world governing body less than three weeks after publicly criticising President Gianni Infantino’s controversial World Cup sell-off plan to private investors.

FIFA confirmed that Lamour’s working relationship with the organisation ended on Monday, August 17, 2026, but declined to comment on reports that he had been dismissed.

“FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026,” a FIFA spokesperson said.

Read Also: Infantino apologises as FIFA admits mistakes over World Cup sell-off plan

“FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.”

According to reports, FIFA staff were informed of Lamour’s departure in an email from Secretary General Mattias Grafström on Monday evening.

Lamour criticised Infantino’s plan

Lamour’s departure comes after he launched a strong criticism of Infantino’s abandoned FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE) proposal last month.

The scheme sought to create a commercial subsidiary to manage and attract private investment into FIFA’s major competitions, including the World Cup and Club World Cup.

Lamour described the project as “the project of one person” and said football’s political leaders needed to “ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions”.

He also claimed FIFA’s administration had been “deceived” over the project.

“Our mission – the mission of the hundreds of passionate, dedicated, and exemplary FIFA employees – is to serve football,” Lamour said.

He argued that FIFA’s leadership should unite the organisation rather than deepen divisions.

“A president must bring people together, unite them, and inspire them. Today, we are experiencing the opposite,” he said.

Lamour acknowledged that he had a duty of loyalty to FIFA but added that he also had a responsibility to uphold certain values and support his colleagues.

“If that means I lose my job, then so be it,” he said. “I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”

Former UEFA executive leaves FIFA

Lamour joined FIFA in November 2024 after serving as UEFA’s deputy general secretary. He had previously worked closely with Infantino during his time at European football’s governing body.

His departure is therefore particularly notable given his previous relationship with the FIFA president and his senior position within the organisation.

Follow on Google News

Head of Sports at BusinessDay Media, a seasoned Digital Content Producer, and FIFA/CAF Accredited Journalist with over a decade of sports reporting.Has a deep understanding of the Nigerian and global sports landscape and skills in delivering comprehensive and insightful sports content.