The vice presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, Rabiu Kwankwaso, on Thursday, led the coordination and submission of the party’s candidates across the 19 northern states and the Federal Capital Territory ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The exercise was concluded with the formal submission of the candidates’ names to the NDC National Leader, Seriake Dickson.
This was contained in a statement issued on Thursday by Kwankwaso’s media aide, Saifullahi Hassan.
According to the statement, Kwankwaso worked closely with the party’s National Working Committee throughout the exercise to coordinate the submission of candidates across the northern states and the FCT.
“I appreciate the national leader, the National Working Committee and all the candidates for their cooperation, commitment and support throughout this exercise,” Kwankwaso said.
The former Kano State governor described the completion of the exercise as an important step towards strengthening the party ahead of the 2027 elections.
“This is more than just the completion of a submission process. It is another step towards building a formidable NDC team capable of competing strongly at every level,” he said.
Kwankwaso also commended the candidates and party officials for their commitment to ensuring that the process was successfully concluded.
“This collective effort demonstrates our determination to build a strong and united team that will represent the interests of our people effectively,” he said.
The statement said the exercise covered candidates from the 19 northern states and the FCT as the party intensifies preparations for the 2027 general elections.
The development comes as political parties step up preparations for the elections, with the submission of candidates forming a key part of the electoral process.
Kwankwaso, who served as Kano State governor, has been involved in the NDC’s mobilisation and organisational activities in Northern Nigeria as the party seeks to strengthen its structures ahead of the elections.
The former governor is the running mate to the party’s presidential candidate, Peter Obi, on the NDC ticket for the 2027 presidential election.
He said the completion of the exercise had further demonstrated the party’s readiness to participate competitively in the forthcoming elections.
“We remain focused on the task ahead and committed to working with all our candidates and party leaders to achieve our objectives,” Kwankwaso said.
Speaking earlier in a statement to mark the commencement of campaigns for the 2027 general election, Kwankwaso urged Nigerians to reject divisive politics and demand competent and accountable leadership ahead of the 2027 general election.
In a statement posted on his verified X account on Thursday, he urged Nigerians to reflect on the state of the country and the kind of nation they wanted to leave for the next generation, citing rising food prices, unemployment, high business costs and insecurity among the challenges confronting citizens.
“The rising cost of food and essential goods has placed enormous pressure on families. Millions of young Nigerians are searching for meaningful employment and opportunities, while businesses are struggling with high operating costs,” Kwankwaso said.
He said insecurity had continued to threaten communities, with terrorism, banditry and kidnapping claiming lives, destroying homes and disrupting livelihoods.
“Our farmers need security to return to their farms, our children need safe schools, and every Nigerian deserves to live without fear,” the former governor said.
Kwankwaso also called for urgent investment in education and healthcare, improved infrastructure, stronger institutions and greater transparency and accountability in the management of public resources.
He, however, said the challenges facing the country should not extinguish hope, noting that Nigeria had the people, resources and potential to build a prosperous and secure nation.
“What we need is leadership with the competence, courage and commitment to put the interests of Nigerians first,” he said.
Kwankwaso said his decision to work with Peter Obi on the Obi-Kwankwaso ticket was based on a commitment to Nigeria rather than regional, religious or personal interests.
“Our partnership is not about region, religion or personal ambition. It is about Nigeria.
“We believe in a country where government serves the people, where hard work is rewarded and where young people can build successful futures at home,” he said.
He appealed to youths, women, workers, farmers, entrepreneurs and professionals to join the political movement and demand accountability, competence and results from those entrusted with public office.
Kwankwaso urged Nigerians to support the Obi-Kwankwaso ticket and other NDC candidates, saying the 2027 election provided an opportunity for citizens to choose a new direction for the country.
“Let us campaign peacefully, responsibly and with the national interest at heart. Together, we can build a stronger nation, and Nigeria will be OK,” he said.


Comments
Start the conversation about this story.