Corus Entertainment has confirmed another round of layoffs across its radio and television divisions, with positions at Global BC, Global National and its talk radio network among those affected.
The company confirmed the latest job cuts to Broadcast Dialogue late Wednesday, saying the changes would affect selected roles across several of its operations, including 640 Toronto (CFIQ-AM).
“As we continue to adapt to the evolving needs of our business, Corus has made a small number of changes in select markets, including roles at Global BC, Global National, News 640 and talk radio,” a Corus spokesperson said in an emailed statement.
The latest cuts come as Corus continues to restructure parts of its operations amid changes in the broadcasting industry and the way audiences consume news and audio content.
The company said the changes were necessary to create a more sustainable operating structure while maintaining its commitment to news and local programming.
ALSO READ: Worst rookie errors for first-time job seekers in Canada
“These changes are part of the difficult but necessary work to ensure our teams are structured in a sustainable way, while minimising disruption to local news and audio delivery,” the spokesperson said.
“We remain committed to supporting our news operations, and these changes do not reflect station closures or a retreat from our commitment to news. We continue to evolve our operating model so we can deliver trusted news to audiences across platforms as effectively as possible.”
Among those confirmed to have been affected in the latest round is Santiago Bedoya, who has served as 640 Toronto’s Imaging and Technical Producer for the past three years.
The new layoffs follow another round of job cuts announced in mid-July, which affected roughly 45 unionized employees, with the majority working at Global News in Alberta.
Those earlier reductions came as Corus moved to centralize some aspects of news production in Toronto for its Calgary and Edmonton markets.
The company had previously clarified that the move did not mean local newsrooms in Calgary and Edmonton were being shut down, although aspects of production were being centralised.
On-air talent at several Corus Radio stations were also among those who left the company during the earlier restructuring.
The latest reductions therefore represent another phase in Corus’ efforts to adjust its workforce and operating model across its broadcasting businesses.
While the company did not disclose the total number of employees affected in the latest round, it said the changes were being made in selected markets and reiterated that they did not amount to station closures.
The cuts affect both television and radio operations, including news and talk radio, as Corus seeks to balance its workforce with changing audience habits and the demands of delivering content across multiple platforms.
The company maintained that its news operations remain a priority despite the restructuring.
“We remain committed to supporting our news operations,” the spokesperson said, adding that Corus would continue to adapt its operating model to deliver news and audio content to audiences across platforms.
The latest layoffs come at a time when broadcasters and media organisations in Canada continue to face pressure to adjust their traditional operations as audiences increasingly access news and entertainment through digital platforms.
For employees affected by the latest changes, however, the restructuring means another round of job losses within Corus’ radio and television businesses, following the reductions announced in July.
The company has not indicated whether further layoffs are planned, while the latest changes are being implemented across the affected markets.


Comments
Start the conversation about this story.