Ossiomo Power Plant has raised concerns over the alleged continued vandalism of its facilities in Ologbo, Edo State, despite spending more than N182 million on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) projects in the host community.

The multi-billion-naira power company, located in Ologbo, Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area of the state, alleged that suspected community youths had repeatedly disrupted its operations and vandalised its facilities.

According to the company, some of the youths were allegedly working with Jiangsu Communication Clean Energy Technology Co. Ltd (CCETC), which is accused of illegally and forcefully gaining access to its gas plant at the Ossiomo Industrial Park.

Ossiomo Power said the development had prevented it from supplying electricity to consumers in parts of Edo State and appealed to relevant authorities to intervene.

Speaking with newsmen, Ekwe Francis Chukwuma, site engineer, Ossiomo Power Company, said the gas plant had allegedly been disrupted by local youths led by Felix Okotie since November 2025.

Chukwuma said the company was raising the alarm to draw the attention of government authorities and the public to what he described as activities allegedly preventing Ossiomo Power from carrying out its operations.

He said the company had made significant contributions to Ologbo through its CSR programme.

“As a matter of fact, Ossiomo has contributed more to the Ologbo community with their CSR programme than any other company in Ologbo and probably, in Edo State.

“The company’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) contribution to the Ologbo Community in 2025 was in excess of N182 million,” he said.

Chukwuma said repeated appeals to the youths to vacate the gas station had failed, adding that the disruption had affected electricity supply to the company’s customers.

“Millions of Nigerians are in dire need of electricity yet the people of Ologbo have prevented us for about 10 months from giving people light for no reasonable justification,”he added.

“For nearly one year, the company has been forcefully and illegally put out of business. We are getting sick and tired of this situation because our teeming customers are wallowing in darkness and the company’s investment is in jeopardy just because of the people who feel they are above the law.”

The company also alleged that the suspected vandals had repeatedly gained illegal access to its gas station and may have been sponsored by CCETC.

It further alleged that its 33KV transmission lines, which transmit electricity from Ologbo to Benin City and surrounding areas, had been severely vandalised.

A source close to the power plant, who spoke on condition of anonymity, accused Okotie of being the alleged ringleader behind the vandalism.

The source alleged that Okotie had repeatedly led youths from the Ologbo community to vandalise the company’s property, while another individual, Osaretin Omorodion, was alleged to be responsible for the vandalisation of the 33KV power lines.

The source also alleged that the activities were undermining efforts to provide stable electricity to Nigerians by preventing Ossiomo Power from delivering 24-hour electricity supply.

He further alleged that Okotie and members of his group attacked two DSS personnel deployed to the Ossiomo Gas Plant to maintain law and order on December 2, 2025.

The source expressed concern that the alleged failure to prosecute those accused of the vandalism and attack on the security personnel had emboldened them to continue their activities.

“Ologbo community was without power for more than six years, due to mass disconnection of the community by the Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC) Plc.

“The disconnection was due to the same issues of vandalism, illegal meter bypassing, violent attacks among others until Ossiomo came to their rescue and commenced power supply to Ologbo circa early 2022,” he said.

Another source, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said security personnel comprising mobile policemen and members of the Odua Peoples Congress (OPC) had encountered difficulties with some youths in the community.

The source alleged that the youths, led by Okotie, had repeatedly harassed and provoked security personnel stationed at the company.

“CCETC officials will come here and try to trespass and when we stop them, CCETC will put a call across to Okotie and his men and within a few minutes, an uncountable number of youths will come and force us to do the bidding of the Chinese people,” the source alleged.

However, when contacted, Okotie and some of his associates, including Lucky Igbineweka, Tony Obaseki and Biggy, defended their actions

They alleged that their activities concerning Ossiomo Power and CCETC had the backing of the elders and people of the Ologbo community.

They said they were protecting the interests of CCETC and would not allow another company to rival the Chinese firm.

The youths also maintained that they were free to take actions concerning the companies because the firms were operating within their community.

They referred journalists to Friday Osazuwa, the community secretary, for further information.

Efforts to obtain comments from Osazuwa and Eric Osawaru, chairman of Ikpoba Okha Local Government Council, were unsuccessful as they did not respond to several calls and messages sent to their phones.

Add as a preferred source on Google Follow on Google News