FILE - Juventus' Paul Pogba is photographed, during an Italian Serie A soccer match between Juventus and Bologna FC at Allianz Stadium, in Turin, Italy, Aug. 27, 2023. Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba has tested positive for testosterone it was reported on Monday, Sept. 11, 2023. Italy’s anti-doping agency announced the positive test. The test was carried out after Juventus’ game at Udinese on Aug. 20. Pogba did not play in the Serie A match but was on Juve’s bench. Nado Italia says Pogba was suspended provisionally with immediate effect. (Marco Alpozzi//LaPresse via AP, File)

Former France midfielder Paul Pogba has parted ways with Monaco after the Ligue 1 club terminated his contract following just one season.

Pogba, who was part of the France squad that won the 2018 FIFA World Cup, had been contracted to Monaco until June 2027.

However, the club announced that the agreement had been ended early after the objectives set by both parties were only “partially achieved”.

Pogba’s limited playing time

The 33-year-old midfielder made just six appearances for Monaco last season, starting only one match and coming on as a substitute in the other five.

His time at the club was also disrupted by difficulties in regaining his best form following a doping suspension, as well as a series of injury setbacks.

Pogba joined Monaco last summer after being cleared to return to professional football following the doping ban he received while playing for Juventus.

Pogba maintained that the doping violation was a mistake. He was subsequently allowed to resume his professional career in March 2025 after the Court of Arbitration for Sport reduced his four-year suspension to 18 months.

Pogba reacts to Monaco departure

Reacting to his departure, Pogba expressed gratitude to Monaco for giving him the opportunity to return to club football.

“Representing this club and the principality was an incredible experience,” Pogba said.

“AS Monaco is an incredible club and although I did not play as many games as I had hoped, I will always be grateful for the opportunity to wear their colours.”

Monaco explains decision

Monaco CEO Thiago Scuro said Pogba’s arrival had been viewed as an ambitious project, despite the outcome falling short of expectations.

“When [Pogba] joined, we explained that this was a major challenge, that was audacious and ambitious,” Scuro said.

“While the outcome is not what we had hoped for, it should not overshadow the enthusiasm that surrounded his return to club football, nor the fact that Paul was able to return to the pitch and to professional football during this period.

“We wish Paul all the very best for the future.”

Pogba now faces another decision over the next stage of his career as he looks to rebuild his playing career after a difficult period marked by suspension and injuries.